The physical infrastructure and technology for new initiatives already exists at the Neechi Commons site.
The complex, which is fully modernized includes a ground floor, 2nd floor and basement, totalling upwards of 28,000 square feet, not counting stairways, vestibules and an elevator: ground 12,226 + 2nd 9,187 + basement 6,300. The 2nd floor space is less than on the ground floor because of an attractive open space above a ground floor courtyard.
The ground floor includes a large north room that covers 4,102 square feet. The room was previously used as general grocery space. A lovely courtyard area with 2,373 square feet makes up the centre portion of the ground floor. In addition, there is a fully equipped bakery, two additional general purpose rooms, five walk-in coolers, a refrigerated prep room, a large walk-in freezer, abundant inventory assembly space, a storage or closet nook, a customer service type of office, two other offices, a loading dock, a janitorial room, and an accessible washroom.
The southern half of the 2nd floor features a fully equipped commercial kitchen and restaurant, an artistic, newly built general purpose room, and space for a stand-alone kiosk. The northern half contains four character offices, a classroom/office that can be divided into two rooms, a board room with a sink and sky lights, a photocopier room, and two fully accessible washrooms. The basement houses six large storage rooms, a walk-in cooler, a sorting area, a laundry room, a janitorial room, a staff room, two washrooms and shower facilities, as well as mechanical, electrical and server rooms.
An elevator connects to all three levels and a customized spiral stairway rises from the ground floor to the 2nd floor in the open courtyard. All of the main public access areas are wired for point-of-sales, security and sound systems.
Neechi Commons received Green Globes certification in recognition of its geothermal heating and cooling, skylights and other environmentally friendly features. Renovations included restoration of the heritage character of two attached buildings, built in 1903 and 1904.